WE LOVE WHERE WE LIVE!
What if we united to offer our communities 100s of hours of acts of kindness in the form of service? This summer we have a chance to find ways to make a huge difference in the places we live, either individually or collectively. By showing God’s love we hope to have a positive influence on the lives of those around us. It doesn’t matter how young or old you are, you can get involved!
Our goal is to serve 100 hours each in Newark DE, Elkton MD, and Avon Grove PA. All you have to do to be part of this is to serve, then log your hours by clicking the button above!
We are looking for more ideas too – so if you have them send them our way!
How do I get involved?
WEAR YOUR SHIRT
Don’t forget! Represent!
TAKE SOME PICS
FILL OUT FORM
Places to Serve
Check back often as we’ll be updating this list. Also, remember you don’t have to serve with a non profit or school. You can serve a neighbor, a friend, a coworker, or anyone!
Ideas for Serving
Here are a few suggestions we stole from other churches who have done similar things. See if any would work for you, your small group, your friends, or your family!
- Pick up litter or gather a litter picking team to tidy up an area near where you live
- Bake a cake for your neighbor
- Cook a meal for someone who might need some support
- Choose and buy food for foodbank
- Think about someone or a group of people in your circles who might be in need. Know any brand-new parents? Make them a meal or a care package today. Has someone new just joined your workplace or group? Create a welcome box for them, with tips for settling in and invitations to social events.
- Run a free car wash
- Bottled Water Giveaway
Many people prefer water to soft drinks. Ice down bottles of water in large coolers for an alternative to a soft drink giveaway. Use the same connection cards. We don’t recommend combining this with a soda giveaway, because it offers too many options and gets complicated.
- Lawn Mowing
Look for long grass, knock on the door, and go for it. Several mowers make this short work.
- Rain Gutter Cleaning
This is messy work but very appreciated by homeowners. You will need some ladders, trash bags, and gloves.
- School Supplies
Distribute school supplies house-to-house, especially in needy neighborhoods whose residents include many children.
- Fruit Giveaway
I was surprised at the popularity of this one. People really like fresh fruit, and they will readily take it. This one goes over great guns across the U.S. An orange, an apple, and a banana along with a connection card in a clear plastic bag is enough. This also works well door-to-door.
- Doggie Treats
People often love their pets like family members. Either make from scratch a great doggie treat, or buy them from a pet shop (many shops now offer high-end treats for pets). Wrap several with a ribbon and a connection card and give them out at parks or dog runs.
- Say hello to a person who is homeless and buy them a cup of tea/coffee
- Make a goody bag for your local police/fire/ambulance station staff to say thanks for helping other people
- Sort through your clothes and toys to see if there are some nice things you could give to charity