Verse: John 5:17,19
In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.”…“Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.”
This truth could CHANGE YOUR LIFE. Seriously. I mean it.
Think about what would happen if we all really, actually, truly believed this. Catch what Jesus Is saying here:
- God is always doing something.
- I do what I see the Father doing.
That’s it. What if you and I actually lived according to that? What if we really believed that God is always working, and that we are invited to join him in that work? Every day.
When you are talking to your friends, he is working. When you are at work, he is working. When you are hanging out with your family, he is working. When you are at the grocery store, he is working. “My Father is always at work.”
Imagine at ALL times there is this other invisible world happening all around you where God is working:
- The cashier you are about to check out with at Wawa – God has been working on her heart because she’s been feeling lonely.
- Your friend whom you haven’t heard from in a while – God’s been trying to encourage him because he feels kind of depressed.
- The co-worker on that zoom call who looks kind of down – God’s been offering them a path to healing, but they’ve been refusing.
- The friend who’s caught in a bad relationship – God’s been offering them a way out, but they aren’t strong enough to take it.
God is working. Everywhere you go, in everyone you see, all the time. His love is pulling them, drawing them, reaching out to them. And this is the cool part: somehow Jesus was able to see what God was doing, and join God in what he was doing.
What if that became our attitude? To join God in what he is doing in the life of the cashier, or our friend, or that co-worker, or our neighbor? What if we learned to see what God was doing? What if we started asking, “Father, what are you doing in this situation that I can join you in?”
This is revolutionary. I’m not going to say I’m great at this. But I have been trying to live more and more like this for the past several years. I forget a lot. I get distracted a lot. But I’m not going to give up. Do you want to join me in this? It will change your life!
You can start small. You can dream big. What is God doing? How can you join him?
God help me to see what you are doing in the lives around me, and step in, and join you!
Author: Christian Dunn